Proud Member Of:
The original Joe's Bike Shop opened on Webster St. in 1939. Joe hired Chris (Grae's brother) to help Joe assemble his bikes in the 70s. When Joe passed, his wife sold the business to Rick and Judy. In 1980, Joe’s Bike Shop relocated to Encinal Ave. near Morton St. The new owners decided to give Grae a crack at it & hired him as a mechanic. Working at Joe's was a dream come true. When Grae wasn't wrenching, he trained for triathlons & worked part-time in La Val's Pizza on Bay Farm Island. Eventually, he moved on to pursue other interests.
In 1995, a bike shop on Bay Farm Island became available, so Grae bought it & named it Joe’s Bike Shop and had a great time fixing & selling bikes in their community. Around 2000, Grae sold Joe's & moved out of state. Grae never stopped missing his hometown & moved back to Alameda with a dream of reopening Joe's. In 2015, Vivee & Grae found a storefront on the West End of Alameda (one of Alameda's first commercial buildings,) and happily brought Joe's back to its original stomping grounds as Westside Joe’s Bikes! Grae stepped away from the business in 2019 and Vivee has owned and operated it since 2020. Since then, we've proudly served as Alameda's go-to bike shop for high-quality bicycle repair services, and even donate pre-loved bicycles to people in South Africa.